History 2019-01-25T20:47:32+00:00


In 1925 Fred Dalley, a manufacturer and entrepreneur famous for his “2 in 1 shoe polish” built Wynnstay Estate on the 100-acre farmland in Ancaster. The Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate, a Byzantine Ukrainian Catholic Congregation, purchased the former Wynnstay Estate in 1946 and named it Mount Mary Immaculate.

From the start Mount Mary served as a school of religious formation for the Sisters Servants with many young women arriving each year from various parts of Canada, the United States and Australia. In 1970 the training program was transferred to Mundare, Alberta.

In 1947 the Sisters opened an orphanage/ children’s home, and then kindergarten and daycare centre. These closed in 1956.

In 1952 a private residential and day high school for girls was constructed on the site. In 1953 Mount Mary Academy welcomed its first students and boarders. Girls from the vicinity, parts of Canada, USA, Central and South America, Trinidad and Hong Kong came and were educated from grades 9 to 13. Hundreds graduated to take their professional, home-making and community roles in the world. Lifelong friendships were formed, memories live on. Due to various changing circumstances, with much prayer the Sisters read the signs of the times and in 1975 closed the Academy as such but leased the facility to the Hamilton – Wentworth R.C. Separate School Board to be used for staff education.

In 1976 Mount Mary began hosting retreats and it continues to do this to the present day.

Links for more information:
The Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate Official Website
Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy

Mount Mary Christian Retreat Centre
437 Wilson St. E., Ancaster, Ontario, L9G 3K4
To Book Your Retreat: mountmarybookings@yahoo.ca
phone: (905) 648-6292 ext 1
Administrative Office: ssmimountmary@cogeco.net
phone: (905) 648-4485     fax: (905) 648-7905